Sunday, October 12, 2008

Six Pairs Saved From Wasteful Death

I had some pears that were on the brink of ruin. I had to act fast or all would have been lost. Part of our experiment is to reduce the amount of wasted food we add to the trash heap. Here's one idea and recipe.
Pear Crisp
It all started with six, sickly pairs whose skins looked like this.
I had to show you these because I forgot to take a "Before" picture.
These are evidence of how far gone those pears were.

After cutting and stirring and topping, they looked like this.

Finally, out of the oven, and ready to eat. I wish technology was up to smell-o-vision. You can't believe the heavenly aroma filling my home. I'd love to have you all over for some delightful pair crisp topped with whipped cream, but since I can, you go make your own and tell me how it turns out. A great experiment in using what I have and watching my waste (if not my waist).


Recipe

Pear Crisp
6 sickly pears, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
Stir gently to cover pears in sugar and spice. Top with:
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar (maybe a little more, I'm not great at measuring and I just made this up)
2/3 cup oats with a dash of cinnamon

Mix topping together and top pears. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, or when the topping is golden brown and crisp. Sorry to all of my international friends, I don't know how to convert the quantities or temp for you, but I have great confidence that you'll figure it out.

No comments: