Sunday, October 5, 2008

No Shopping on the Sabbath



We had a beautiful sabbath. It was actually restful and restorative. Usually it's much crazier with church meetings (mostly Don's), choir practice (I'm the director), and worship services (3 hours isn't bad, it's the 2:30 time slot that kills me). But today we had general conference and could listen in the comfort of our own home.

Because I had so much hearth and home time today, I made bread. I was hoping to make a delicious crust baguette, but it turned out like my usual farm bread shaped like a baguette, which isn't bad, just not what I was going for. Maybe it's because when I googled a "baggette recipe," I didn't realize the I didn't know how to spell baguette. That could have effected the whole process. I knew I should have paid better attention in my spelling lessons. I was hoping for light and airy on the inside, with a firm crust on the outside. Oh well. It was perfectly serviceable and was part of a lovely meal for two families. If anyone has any tips on how to make a true baguette, please send a comment.


My bread before it was baked. I didn't get a photo after because we cut it up and ate it. Oh well.

Recipe

French Bread, Not Baguette
Here's the easy, easy food storage approved recipe:
1 Tbsp. dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 c. warm water
4 c. flour


In a large bowl dissolve yeast, sugar, salt and warm water. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 4 cups flour. Turn out onto floured surface. Lift and turn dough which is very soft, until it sticks enough to knead. Add more flour if necessary. Knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Put in clean bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (45 minutes). Turn dough out onto floured surface, pat flat and dust with flour. Fold in half and then half again. Return to bowl and let rise 30 minutes. Turn dough out onto floured surface, divide into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and let rest 5 minutes. Shape each ball into long oval, cut tops with scissors for artistic look. Place on greased sheet. Let rise until almost double. Brush loaves with well-beaten egg and water mixture. Bake in 450 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

I modified the directions to the recipe found here:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1918,155189-240193,00.html

No comments: