Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nutritional Facts

So, I'm beginning to question the nutritional value of some of our meals, especially breakfast and lunches. We have been officially out of milk for a few days and are left to our moo juice substitute. They say you should have at least three food groups form the pyramid with your morning meal, but my kids will not have anything to do with the morning moo unless it is mixed into something that is then baked or heated somehow.
This week we began okay. Here's what we've eaten so far -

Monday we had hot oat bran (this is the grains family) and bottled peaches (thank you for the token fruit) but no dairy or protein to speak of at breakfast. The kids took home made bread, apples and a cookie in their lunches. Dinner was a potato bar eaten on the run as we hurried to the Trunk or Treat. Not too bad as far as a meal goes, but again, not a lot of protein or calcium to be found other than what was in the whole wheat bread and sour cream/cheese for the potatoes.


Tuesday, I already mentioned, Don made a scrambled egg skillet dish with bacon and cheese, plenty of protein, a little dairy. We also had hot chocolate, I'm sure that counted as a full serving of dairy. Kids ate the same lunch as they had Monday. Dinner was burgers and fries for lots of fun and fatty calories.


Today we got a late start and KC made pumpkin pancakes, no dairy but at least one good serving of fruit with the pumpkin. We had pizza for lunch at Costco, I went just to return a printer and didn't buy anything but lunch for the kids. Dinner was hurried again. I made rice earlier this afternoon. Good plan. Bren made potstickers and ate his helping on the run. Don, the little kids and I actually sat down together for a few minutes to eat. KC was coming in as I was leaving and hopefully this was the last crazy evening for a while.

So, dairy, or maybe I should say calcium and vitamin d, seem to be the lacking, but I think we're doing okay. I'm off for now. You can see what we've eaten this week so far. What we lack in quality dinner times we've made up in a few nice sit-down breakfasts this week.

1 comment:

Adhis said...

I hear ya on this concern! Nutrition often pops into my mind when packing our 72-hour kits and stocking our food storage. I broke down last year and replaced a lot of of our 72hr kits for more expensive but more balanced "meals."