Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dracula’s Chicken

Today, I put a chicken in the crock pot to roast. I have a three meal plan for this chicken and today is Meal 1. Roasted chicken with veggies. Tomorrow is Day 2, chicken tacos, and Sunday I’m going to make chicken soup with the little remaining chicken I have and the stock made from all the bones and stuff. But, let me tell you about today’s meal and give you a little look into a favorite afternoon ritual I share with the kids.

When the kids get home from school I have a small window of their time before they run off to play, do homework, or become engaged in other activities. For 30 minutes every day I get them all to myself. Since I am usually the one to drive them home, I’ve already gotten the low-down on their day, so from 3:30-4pm we are free, and I get to perform one of my favorite past times as a mom; reading to my children. When we got home, the chicken was already roasting away and I had a simple snack ready for them. They sat down to graze and I began our October classic, Dracula. The kids and I have read several abridged classics over the last many months and this is our spooky pick for the month of All Hallows Eve. Anyway, there is a moment where the first main character, Jonathon, is traveling through Eastern Europe and he stops at various places for food and lodging. We LOVE food references in literature, and whenever we come across one as we’re reading, we try to plan a meal around the foods described. So, today it was Chicken Paprika, and since I already had a chicken roasting it was a simple thing to add a bunch of paprika to the pot and let it do it’s thing. I have to reference a new favorite thing here:
McCormic’s Smoked Paprika

It is so much more robust and flavorful than any other paprika I’ve ever tried that I’ve been using it as a condiment since I got it. Anyway, it was excellent on the chicken, and here’s the recipe for Day 1 of the whole chicken meals. I have to say, I was looking over my shoulder the whole time I was preparing this, though, I felt like Dracula was going to come up behind me any moment. Turns out Dracula doesn't like chicken, but we sure loved this dish.
Paprika Chicken and Salad

Paprika Veggies

Recipe

Hungarian Chicken Paprika
1 Whole chicken
2 Tbsp. olive oil
5 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper
1 onion, quartered
1 ½ cup water
Carrots, onions, sweet peppers, all chopped

Clean chicken and rub with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika. Leave garlic in pan and add onions and water (be sure not to rinse the paprika off the chicken when you pour the water into the pan). Cover and roast at 350 for as long as it takes to get clear juices from the leg and breast (Sorry this is lame, I used my crock pot and just let it do it’s thing). When the chicken is nearing it’s finish throw the veggies in a pan with some of the chicken broth. Add a little more salt and paprika to the veggies if needed. Serve it all piping hot and reserve the leftovers (bones and all) for your next meals.

No comments: