Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 5 - Acknowledging Addictions

Okay, so I have to make a confession. Today I took the kids to school and noticed that just down the street a brand new grocery market had a parking lot full of cars. “I wonder if that new store is open?” I mused aloud. It’s a good thing I have kids to keep me on track and accountable, because KC said, “Well, it doesn’t really matter because we’re not going to the grocery store for a month, right?” Drat. It was then I realized that while grocery shopping may be a hated habit, it is also a common craving that is hard to say no to. In that moment of seeing a brand new store on the brink of a Grand Opening, I actually felt some strong psychological withdrawal pangs. But, with my KC girl there to get me through it, they passed and I didn’t change the course of my day to satisfy my curiosity.

P.S. I had a call from my friend Liz. I'd remarked to her about the store opening, and Liz, never to miss an opportunity for a really excellent bargain, checked into it. She left a message informing me that the store doesn't actually open until November 12th, after the experiment end. I'm hoping to have killed my curiosity by then. Any encouraging comments to help me through this difficult time would be appreciated.

No comments: