Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Family Night Fun

Now, don't get worried that I've forgotten which blog I'm writing for and mistaking this one for my family blog, found here. I promise my ramblings will have relevance, as you'll see soon.

Last night we went to a great Story in Concert, which is sort of like a musical play with a lot more narrative. It was a retelling of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” at an amphitheater in a beautiful old park. The weather has been pretty chilly here, and the festivities began around dinner time, so I wanted to bring a few warm provisions for the evening.

First, I weighed my options and honestly, not so long ago my first response would have been to head for fast food. Quick and easy. But, I have to tell you, this is another poor practice I’m wanting to purge from my life. Fast food is really fun sometimes, but I’ve noticed two tell-tale truths in the last several months that alert me to the idea of ditching fast food as a family affair. They are:
  1. Fast food menu items are shrinking in size as my kids are simultaneously growing in size.
  2. Fast food menu items do not seem to satisfy and sustain like they used to.
Maybe I’m thinking too hard, but I just hate spending $30 to feed my family a bunch of crappy food that doesn’t really fill or nourish them. So, I decided to make dinner and bring it with us. Here’s what I did instead.

I made corn bread muffins, honey butter and hot chocolate, heated assorted canned soups and packed them all up in my new thermoses and hot boxes. Our cousins came with us to the play and the muffins were a hit with adults and kids alike. All my kids had their own thermos of hot chocolate (Don and I shared) and that really cut down on the “I’m so cold,” complaints. Only Don & Bren ate soup because while I said I made assorted soups, I ended up leaving everything but clam chowder here at home. So sorry to my kids who hate clams. The whole meal probably cost me 5 bucks and everyone was happy.

Here is my recipe for corn bread, which, even with the egg (read this eggcelent article about storing eggs, sent to me by my favorite tree hugger up north, Katie), is a friendly food storage recipe. I followed the recipe and then made muffins and they were great.

Recipe

Corn Bread
1 cup corn meal
½ cup wheat flour
½ cup white flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk (I used 2 Tbs morning moo powder and 1 cup water)

Mix dry ingredients (including milk powder if you use it), add wet ingredients, stir well. Pour into greased 8 inch pan, bake on 350 for 25 minutes. Check with a poke test, may need another 5 minutes or so depending on altitude.

Interesting note about gear: I have a few friends who have mentored me in the idea that it pays to ask for discounts, and today I was richly rewarded for doing so. Earlier in the day I visited a local outdoor outlet where camping and outdoor supplies are sold. Disclaimer: this is not a grocery store and I’m still in the bounds of the rules. I grabbed a few great 72-hour-kit items on clearance and then sat down in front of the thermoses. Now this store is a bit of a fun mess. It’s kind of like a treasure hunt finding what you’re looking for. But, when you find it, if it’s missing it’s box or looks like it’s been on the shelf a long time, the manager will totally give you a deal. I found several great deals and took them to the cash register. The manager sold me all of this stuff - 4 thermos mugs, 1 thermos canister, 2 good sized hot/cold lunch box canisters with food containers and some extra containers to go with them - for $35. Normally, it would have cost $65. I’m telling you this because as far as being prepared goes, things that can help keep your food hot and/or cold are really handy to have around.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I didn't realize you left your soup! We could have streched ours out to feed your kids. I feel terrible. I guess I am not too observant.

Mariah said...

Hey, you always watch out for us. Besides, both KC and Hannah had some of your soup and Caleb was happy with his big ol' mug o' hot cocoa. Anyway, we had a great time and no one was hungry.

Adhis said...

I was eggstatic to see you linked the egg study. When you first mentioned it to me, I thought it was a yolk, but after reading, it seems that it is all it was cracked up to be.

Don't think I'll be flocking to run my own experiment though. I'm still too chicken to eat room-temperature cackleberries.