Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday Night - Letting Go of Poor Practices

Okay, before I get into the dirty details of preparing to be prepared, I’d better blog about tonight’s dinner, that way there is a daily report of dinner ideas for the duration of the experiment.

I was going to do leftovers from the lovely dinner we had with my sister’s family. But, because
Don was away on business for the day/evening, I thought I’d take advantage of an opportunity to have breakfast for dinner. Now, Don would say that he doesn’t mind having pancakes and eggs for breakfast, but I know that he doesn’t generally prefer it. Also, I wanted to break with one of my long held beliefs which said:
If Dad is gone, we’re eating out!
This has cost me more money than it should have over the years because I don’t always feel like cooking when my husband is gone. And with one pair of hands against four, my odds of keeping sane to through the day seem better with drive thru service. But, tonight I chose a better way - I gave dinner over to Bren and pancake mix from our food storage.

What we ate: Bren made a lovely batch of waffles and everyone was happy. We used food storage syrup, sour cream and jam from the fridge, fruit from cold storage and powdered sugar from the pantry. One thing I would have done differently:
Use powdered milk in place of the real stuff when cooking and baking.

Future tip: When I come to the end of the next gallon of milk, I’m going to mix up some of the powdered counterfeit in it’s place and label it “Chef’s Special - Dairy Substitute.” No one’s going to drink it any sooner than they would go next door and ask for a cup of soy milk, but it will work for now when we’re cooking up some fine food storage fare.

No comments: