Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An Unlikely Hanukkah Story - The Oil That Never Failed

My family observes Hanukkah every year. We aren't Jewish, but we light the menorah and share the miraculous story of the oil that lasted eight days in the temple when there was only enough for one night. Some would say that the miracle isn't just that the oil lasted, but that those rededicating the temple in Jerusalem had the faith to light it in the first place, knowing it had to keep burning until they could find more. I believe those faithful people drew from a deep well of hope, strengthened by stories of previous miracles. What follows is my own retelling of another miracle of oil, I won't moralize about this story, but this time of year, especially when things are stressful and there never seems to be enough time, money, resources, I think of all the stories of oil I know and let their wisdom fill me like a vessel. I've also included a recipe for the best latkes we've ever made.
The Widow's Oil

The widow’s oil never failed during the drought. She planned to use the last drops to make a meal for her self and her son. Months before, she stripped her home of the things she once cherished, sold all she had and rationed the little food she acquired, knowing she lacked the means to obtain any more. Storing up her strength, she, against all hope, believed; watching and waiting for an answer she felt sure would arrive. Care-worn and expectant she considered her young son as the days turned his round, rosy face pallid and gaunt.

Finally, her grain was nearly gone, her cruse of oil all but empty. Exhausted by her need, overwhelmed by her lack, she surrendered her will and prepared to make her final meal. While she gathered sticks for a fire a holy man appeared and asked her for a drink. She regarded him curiously. She had not seen him in her village before. She wondered if he was the sign she waited for. As she drew the water he implored her, “And with it, bring me a little bread, that I may eat.”
Bewildered by his request, she gravely answered, “As the Lord thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.”

To this the holy man replied, “Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth.”

Sometimes, to surrender is to trust, so she did as the holy man asked: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days. And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the Lord.
Hanukkah Latkes
10 small-medium red potatoes
3 Tbsp. dehydrated onion
2 Tbsp. flour
2 eggs
season salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup oil (about 1/2 inch in the bottom of a large fry pan)
Sauce
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Par bake the potatoes until they are cooked firm, but not crisp. I did this in the microwave for about half the time I'd normally keep them in. Grate the potatoes and add the other ingredients. Heat the oil on a medium-high heat. Shape the potato mixture into pancake size round (like you're making a hamburger) and fry in the oil once it's hot. Fry on one side until golden brown and then flip. When both sides are browned put onto a plate with paper towels. This recipe makes about 10 latkes total in two batches. I serve them with the sauce above or straight sour cream.

3 comments:

Adhis said...

We, too, celebrate Hanukkah! I'm Jewish by great-great-grandfather Salomon Abraham of Judea, Israel.

I remember the first day of Hanukkah last year vividly because we ate latkes and green beans and donuts at your house... and a few hours later, I threw up, breaking my 10+ year streak of not puking.

Thanks for the recipe.
Mazel Tov!

Mariah said...

I should qualify the "we aren't Jewish" statement. There are actually a lot of families in the world who share our surname who are Jewish. So, out of a feeling of kinship and just in case we really are Jewish, we make sure to observe.

Sorry about the puking. Just goes to show that with fried food and oil follows the saying that you can have too much of a good thing.

Adhis said...

OH! I should clarify that it wasn't YOUR food that made me brech! I only recall the exact day I broke my streak because of the foods that made a re-appearance. Hm. Now, I've done classed up the joint.

Anyway, you will recall I was pregnant and my "event" was due to a combination of that state and an egg salad sandwich earlier enjoyed at our quaint local deli.

I kvetch about a lot of things, but your food would never be one of those things.