Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

It's been a grand holiday in our home. Lots of love and home made fun, recycled and re-gifted presents, abundant meals and messes, little fighting, no sleep (in the night, but I did catch two hours today as a nap). There is so much to be grateful for in the peace and plenty of the season.

Next week I'll be blogging about my preparations for a New Year of No More Grocery Shopping. As I've said previously, I'm planning to spend a year with limited trips to the supermarket and I've got a lot to do to get ready. But I can't wait.

How was Christmas different in your homes this year? I have a few things to say about that next time, but I'd love to hear your experiences.

I hope your homes are full of comfort and joy.

Love,
Mariah

5 comments:

sos said...

Ban Sunday shopping, it will help everyone save money and the environment at the same time. Hope you had a good Christmas.

http://www.saveoursundays.ca
Tony Lohnes
Save Our Sundays

Mariah said...

Tony,
Interestingly, I was just pondering this point yesterday as most retail establishments in America are closed on Christmas. I though of how peaceful the world around us seems on that day after the chaos of the previous "last shopping days before Christmas." I wondered how it would be if all the world truly kept the Sabbath (any Sabbath, whether it's Friday, Saturday or Sunday) as well as we keep Christmas. Maybe then we could enjoy that peaceful, easy feeling more than just once a year. Thank you for the comment and the work you do to make a difference in the world.

Adhis said...

Driving and sliding around today on our impossible icy and un-plowed roads, I felt a real urgency to prepare our home to sustain life and sanity in case of extreme winter weather this season. I need to Mariahfy my house.

Mariah said...

That is just what I was thinking when I ran in to our local super market to grab some scotch guard (Don reupholstered my kitchen chairs for me for Christmas - I'll post the pics soon). Of course there were no shortages of any major items, but I did hear the manager say that all of their trucks are snowed in and they won't be able to get new shipments in for some time. It is a good idea to stock up before they are stocked out. My in-laws in Colorado had 6 weeks of no groceries on the shelves at the stores two years ago. Prepare, prepare.

sos said...

Mariah, I would like to think I'm making a difference in the world.I know some people may not agree with me and that's ok. It does not matter if you are a cashier, or a cart pusher or you work in a ditch. I feel no matter what side of the fence you are on that you should be able to voice your opinion. I feel that most retail workers are scared to voice a opinion and that bothers me. No one should ever fear giving a opinion on anything. I do think we can go back. A lot of people are realizing that with stores being open on Sundays we no longer have a day with out the noise and traffic. Families find a hard time to get together at one time. Thank you for responding to my comments.

Tony