Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pellet Guns, Chicken Pox and Pasta Sauce

For health and strength and daily food we praise thy name, O Lord.
One of my best friends, Liz, had a couple of slight catastrophes this week. First, her oldest boy’s right eye had a run in with an air soft gun pellet - which, contrary to its name was not soft, so it did some moderate and hopefully temporary damage. After spending hours in the urgent care, ER and ophthalmologist’s office, she was told to bring him home and have him lay low for a week. Yeah right, try to keep a 12 year-old-boy, who isn’t really sick, still for 7 days straight. After the optical incident, her oldest daughter, also 12, woke covered in spots, chicken pox actually, and the rest of the siblings were all carted off to the doctor to update vericella vaccinations. After she spent the better part of two days in doctors’ offices I told her I’d bring her dinner.
“No way.” she protested. “No way, Mariah. There are 8 of us.”

“What on earth, Liz. It‘s not a big deal.” I said. I was surprised by her downright refusal, but determined to soften her resolve. People who need help often refuse a first offer. I know I do. I lived in Japan for a number of years, and there it’s customary to refuse any offer three times before accepting, this is not a custom I advise keeping when there is a true need.

“It is a big deal, and I don’t want you to worry about it,” she argued.

I decided to switch to Sicialian tactics, “Don’ worry about it? What’s a matter, you don’t like our cooking? You don’t believe in families helping families?” I laid on my heaviest Brooklyn accent and she laughed. I nearly had her and was wondering what might tip the scales besides my bullied insistence.

“But, there are just way too many of us here. It’s too much to cook for your family and mine.” Whatever. I think she forgot that we routinely feed at least a dozen people every Sunday in our home. I knew this was the point where I had to tell her what I was going to make that would be “no big deal.” I was thinking of my well stocked pantry and then the answer came.

“Pasta, Liz. I’m just going to make pasta. It’ll be great - quick and easy, feeds a lot of people.” My confidence was the clincher and I sealed the proposal with a promise of Bren’s famous alfredo and a mean marinara.

I’ll finish the story in my next posts. There is an important produce tie in, a couple’a frugal food recipes and a serious list of food storage do’s and don’ts. In the mean time, ponder this:
What do you have in your pantry right now that could feed 14 people on a moment’s notice?
Did I chicken out by picking pasta? Think about it and send me your comments. We’d all love the ideas.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I am ashamed to admit this to you of all people - the queen of fresh produce (at least from a couple years ago), but I could feed that many people ANY of my favorite meals, today. That's just what I'm used to cooking because my mom did. Maybe because we do live far from a grocery store. So my favorites rarely include fresh herbs and spices but we think they're pretty yummy. And you helped with some of them!

Kristen said...

Technically I didn't answer your question. =o) How's this:

Spaghetti pie, spaghetti (2 ways), lasagna, chicken enchiladas, beef enchiladas, tacos, burritos, bean dip, chicken pot pie, stir fry, soup and bread, variety of potato casseroles, scones, tortillas, peanut butter sandwiches, waffles, pancakes, roast with veggies, etc etc etc.

Although I AM shorter on sour cream than usual - some of the guests might get cheated a little. =o) And I also assumed that frozen meats count as food storage, since it's on the premises.

I have many weaknesses in my cooking skills, but this is my one strength!

Don't let me sound like a know-it-all though because I learned a lot from your post and that's why I keep coming back!

Adhis said...

I'd have no trouble feeding 14 Lilliputians.

Mariah said...

Kristen,
I don't know why you'd say you're ashamed that this is how you always cook. You should be proud. I think it is a valuable skill and am glad for your list of army feeding possibilities.

Adhis,
I love literary references and you alluded to Gulliver’s Travels. I, too, would welcome the little people of Lilliput, but more frequently feel that I’m feeding a bunch of 60-foot-giant Brobdingnaggers.

Love to you both,
Mariah