Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Lifestyle Change

My next posts will be ideas on how to sustain the principles of No More Grocery Shopping year round. By following the frugal food plan I've learned in preparation for and execution of my experiment, you will reap the benefits of No More Grocery Shopping without actually having to STOP going to the store.

But first, a frugal food lifestyle suggestion for you:

Learn to make the best bread you can and make it once a week.

Maybe your best bread is tortillas, maybe it's corn bread, or a hardy farm bread. Whatever it is, perfect it. Buy your ingredients on sale, stock up so you have them always on hand, and start making your bread at least once a week.

What is your best bread?

Watch for the World's Greatest Whole Wheat Bread Recipe, coming soon.

But, before I share mine, what is yours? Send the recipe by tonight and you will be entered to win our giveaway! Or, wait till it's convenient for you and send it as a comment. If breadmaking became a vital life skill, how would you survive and thrive?

3 comments:

Vashti said...

I love this one...infact i am making it tomorrow with an organic pumpkin i was given last week! Cant wait.


Yummy Pumpkin Bread.
INGREDIENTS
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Adhis said...

Have you entangled some sort of thought-anticipation chip in my hair??? Not 30 minutes ago I was thinking, "I need to learn how to make whole grain bread. Maybe I'll ask Donna."

I haven't made bread unless it was a sugar-laden loaf of cake I convinced myself was nutritious because I added some shredded zucchini, carrot, or apples in the mixing process.

Adhis said...

Mmmmm... foot sandwich...