Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 8 - $2 A Day - Southern Comfort

We were planning on feeding my mom and grandma for dinner tonight, so I planned food from my grandmas childhood. Barbecued pork with a savory sauce, rice, greens, black eyed peas, and sweet corn bread. If I don't make pasta, then I have to make meat when Grandma comes, otherwise she worries we are poor and struggling. Hannah made chocolate cake for dessert 'cause that is Grandma's favorite. The grandmas ended up postponing dinner a couple of days, so it was just the five of us tonight. The meal was an experiment within an experiment. We had mixed results: 

"What smells like bologna?" Caleb asks. 
"It black eyed peas cooking." I say. 
"Smells like bologna, and I don't even know when we ever had bologna in the house," he says.
"Sorry," I tell him.  "Cooking beans is stinky business."
"What is that smell," kc asks?
"Just the beans cooking," I repeat. 
"It smells horrible."
"I know." 
It went like that all day with most of the family. In the end, Caleb, Don and I were the only ones to really eat the beans and rice.  KC and Hannah made a good effort at trying it.  Mostly, they ate corn bread. 

Today was our cheapest day on record. 

Brunch - bread we took to a big farewell party 
Homemade whole wheat bread 
    6 cups flour - $0.60
    1 tbsp yeast $0.10
    Salt and water - free
    Butter $0.50
All the other food by many other hands - free, we ate our fill

Brunch total - $1.20

Dinner 
Southern rice and beans - 
Black eyed peas - $1.80
Olive oil - $0.30
Spices,herbs and garden greens - free
1 lbs Rice - $0.25
1 cup BBQ sauce - $0.75

Corn bread - 
Mix - $0.75
Oil - $0.40
Milk - $0.15

Cake - 
Mix - $1
Oil - $0.25
Eggs - free 

Dinner total - $5.65

Daily Total - $6.85

No comments: