Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Day 3 - $2 A Day - Field Notes

                  
Today, I wanted to give a clearer picture of some of the challenges we face with food and budgets.  So, I interviewed my kids.  It's not just all cheap glam food and easy gourmet over here, in case you were under any illusion.  I feel like they provide a pretty accurate representation of how things are.

Note:  As quotes go, this is close. My kids talk faster than I can type. 

Me:  Hannah, you are in charge of this experiment. What are you learning?
Hannah (12):  Budgeting gets easier as you go - cause when you first jump into it you are so used to eating whatever you want, whenever you want and you don't have to worry about the budget or keeping track of all that stuff. Then you hit $14 a day and think, "Well I can do that. $14 is kind of a lot of money."  But, what you don't realize is how much you have to cut back on snacks, and write down every cup of milk or glass of juice,  and you have to get your dinners so they are nutritious but fit into the budget. You can't just buy ice cream or popcorn u less its on the list and in the budget.  It is hard at first, but gets easier with practice.

Me:  KC, What is our worst food habit?
KC (17): Soda. We spend a lot of money on it compared to how much we spend on everything else.  And, it's like the worst thing we put into our bodies on a consistent basis. 

Me: Caleb, what is your guilty pleasure when it comes to food and budgeting?
Caleb:  Well, like, what do you mean?
Me:  i mean, what do we do regularly that maybe we shouldn't do as much?
Caleb (14):  that's exactly what you asked KC.  Soda.  That's it. 
KC:  no, she asked me about our worst habit.  Shes asking you about something we do that maybe we should consider it a little better.
Caleb: Hmm.  Maybe, Mozzarella sticks from Arby's. 
KC: Ikea chocolate, 
Hannah: Vegan Ice cream
Me: fancy ice creams, pricey cheeses - but I buy them on managers special. 
Caleb:What?  Those are not guilty pleasures. I feel the same attraction to mozzerella sticks as i do to el pollo loco.
Pause. Pause. Pause.
KC: Attraction???
We all burst out laughing. 
Hannah:  Weird.  So, would you say you love mozzarella sticks more than you love your family.
Caleb:  I would trade six family members for six mozzarella sticks any day
Hannah: Rude!
Caleb:  Hey, the first album I ever write is going to be called "I 'd Sell My Soul for Mozzarella Sticks." 
KC moves to my dresser where an opened Ikea chocolate bar is waiting for her.
KC:  Caleb,  how do you feel about this?
She waves her hand game-show-model style over the candy bar.   He laughs.  Then she looks at some of the stuff on my dresser.  
KC:  Mom, we can't have these kinds of magazines in the house.  What is this?  Slow Cooker Favorites?  You were raised better than this. 

Me:Brennan, what do you think is our worst eating habit?
Never to throw anyone else under the bus in a judgement he makes or the values he espouses he considers my question. 
Brennan (Married to Marissa 1.5 yrs) : Well, for me. I'd have to say carbs. I think I eat more simple carbs than I should and I wish I could get the filler I need from more than just bread or rice.  Carbs are just energy.  I think I could turn to more nutritious sources and I don't always do that.  
Me:  That's funny 'cause Dad said that very thing just a coupla days ago. 

Me. Marissa, what have you learned about budgeting for food as a newlywed?
Marissa (married to Bren 1.5 years):  Just that there are lots of different ways to do it that work. When we had more funds for food we could buy food storage, and that was great. Then, later when we had less money we went two months without really going to the grocery store. It was hard not to have fresh very often, but we were okay. What we've found we like best is when we have a small food storage, pasta and grains and spices, and we can just go to the market and buy fresh stuff on the day we need it. That way we don't have any waste and we actually save money doing that.  We've gotten really flexible about food. We're good cooks so I feel like we will always be okay. 

I loved all of these answers. They are revealing of our strengths and our weaknesses.  Some foods are more nutritious, some are more attractive. ;)  This is real life here in the Fralick family kitchen.


No comments: