Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Stop the Presses

Wait!  It has been decided that we are going to carry out our No More Grocery Store/SNAP Challenge for 40 days instead of 30, on the same budget without any extra stocking up.  Here's why.

In the grocery store, on my last day of shopping, I met a cherished friend, Eileen.
Me:  Eileen! It is crazy that you are here because I was just thinking as I was coming in that I needed to text you and ask you to be one of my trusted advisors on our latest experiment.  
(Eileen and I share a warm hug I the middle of the main grocery thoroughfare, much to the chagrin of one of the workers trying to keep traffic flowing.  Both of our carts a blocking the entire aisle.  We try to move out of the way)
Eileen:  What are you doing?  I have been following your posts about butter and price per pound produce.  But, what's next?  
Me:  this is my last day of grocery shopping for 40 days.  And, I'm kind of freaking out.  I've never given up anything for 40 days before.
Eileen: Well, why does it have to be 40?
Me: because Jesus fasted for 40 days.  I've never really been like Him, and, even though I'm not fasting from food for 40 days, I could fast from going to the grocery store.  You know, make due with what we have.  I've done 30 days before and that is totally doable.  This will really teach us something about what we are capable of in the kitchen.  Maybe even in life.
Eileen:  So, make it 35 days.  I bet you'll be really happy you did in the end.
Me: Nope, I am determined. Will you help me? Will you be one of my trusted advisers?  If I am weak will you cheer me on?
Eileen:  Yes, and feed you dinner.
(She says this seriously. She is a phenomenal cook.  The last time Eileen fed my family dinner, I think we all had to be rolled away.  She made rice and sauce and salad and rolls, plenty for my vegetarian kids to eat.  But, she also made the most savory streak I have ever eaten alongside the sauciest fish I've been privileged to partake of.  Eating at Eileen's could make you weep from pure food joy.  I don't know how she cooks like that and stays so thin and trim.  She truly is a talented woman.)
Me: Only if I bring half the dinner.  No freebies.  I can barter for something I may need, but I can't buy it outright, or have it handed to me.  The day may come when I will cook a meal for your whole family in exchange for a cup of fresh cilantro.  Or, I may sell my soul for a stick of butter.
Eileen:  No.  You can do this.  I will help you however I can.  Still, you don't have to be "all" like Jesus.  You could just meet it in the middle and do 35 days. And, weigh yourself.  I wanna know what happens there.  Maybe it will inspire me to follow you....

Grocery store guy (we'll call him Gus):  Wow!  That's a lot of cilantro.
Me: Yeah.  You never know how long it will last, or when you might run out.  I'm not coming back for a while.
Gus: Really, like how long?
Me:  Well, I think I just decided 40 days on the way in here.
Gus:  40 days!  Why not 30, that's way more doable.
Me: I've already done 30 days.  40 days is for Jesus. You know, he fasted forty days.
Gus:  Well, you got me there.  Can't argue with Jesus.  If it helps at all, just remember, too much cilantro makes everything taste like soap.  So, if you're missing your cilantro, don't. You don't want your food to taste like soap anyway.
(Here he actually had a funny story abt how his dad brainwashed him to hate cilantro,  I felt bad he didn't know the bliss these fresh green sprigs can bring)
Me: K. That will be my mantra when I run out.  Cilantro tastes like soap.
Gus: So, this is like your last supper, huh.  No more grocery stores for 40 days?  And you are stocking up on cilantro, frozen ravioli and sugar-free ice cream bars.
Me: One of my kids doesn't eat sugar, and I already have a hoard of regular ice cream going.  I didn't want to leave him out.  
Gus:  And, the muffin cups and paper bags? You have about 200 of each.
Me:  I make six lunches every day.  Those things save me.  I don't want to run out.  It sucks to have to scrub your muffin tins or send your lunches all strewn about in a back pack.   I'm not going to the store much, so I don't have so many grocery bags to repurpose for lunches.
Gus: Wow! You thought of everything.  Too bad you're not coming back for a while.  I think you'd make a very good return customer.
Me:  You're right.  Too good.  That's the point. (I say, shaking in my shoes as I leave the store.)

Good-bye Neighborhood Grocery Store.  I'll see you in 40 days.

                            

Gordon's Awesome Cilantro Mint Chutney

1 bunch cilantro
2 cups mint leaves
1 jalepeno pepper
1/2 medium onion
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemonjuice 
1/4 c water

Roughly chop all ingredients, add to blender with water.  Blend until the consistency of a thick sauce is reached.  Serve with flat bread, chips, samosas, crackers, veggies....pretty much any food is an appropriate carrier for this dip.

No comments: