Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Coconut Lime Curry for a Pregnant Mama's Worry

                       
My sweet little sister is 9 months pregnant with her 3rd child.  She has been craving this curry since Caleb made it for her this summer as part of a Cousins Iron Chef competition we had at her house.  We were talking about it this morning, laughing about how she dreams of this recipe.  

"Oh, Katie, you went past your due date.   You need this curry!  You deserve this curry." I said.  "I will see if I can't find the recipe, or at least a list of ingredients for you." 

"Today?  Will you find it today?" she presses.  She is overdue, worried this baby is never going to come.  Or, that he may come while she is trick-or-treating with her toddler.  Actually, she's worried he's going to come at the perfect time.  It just is past time, already.

"I'll do my best." I assure her.

I have to admit, this commitment is a little shifty.  No one in our family - my mom, my sisters, my husband and kids - is good about keeping a record of what we throw into a pot of sauce.  And, it is unconscionable to give an over-due pregnant woman false hope about anything.  However, I seemed to remember that since it was a competition the kids had at least made a shopping list in a notebook somewhere.

School gets out, kids come home, notebooks are gathered.  Caleb has no record of the event.  Hannah, on the other hand, had written more than a list of ingredients.  She had the whole recipe and remembered the alterations they had made for their competition.  

So, as a good omen, an act of desperation on behalf of my beautiful sister, I send her this curry recipe - spicy, tangy, creamy, savory - in hopes that it does her some good in preparation for having that baby ANY TIME NOW!
                   

Thai Coconut Curry Soup - For 6
2 tbsp canola oil - $0.05
2 tbs ginger, grated - $0.10
2 garlic cloves, minced $0.10
1/4 cup cilantro - $0.25
2 cups spinach - $1
2 cans coconut milk - $3
3 cups veggie broth - $1
1 cup cream - $1
2 tbs lime juice -$0.10
2 tbsp yellow curry powder - $0.10
1/2 lb baby carrots - $0.50
2 red or green chili peppers, diced tiny - $0.10
1 avocado, diced - $1
1/2 small red onion, diced - $0.10
3 cups rice - $0.25
Family Dinner Total - $8.65
Per Person Total - $1.44

1. Cook the rice.
2. Sauté ginger and garlic in oil
3. In a food processor or blender, combine cilantro, spinach and one chili pepper with one can of the coconut milk.  Blend it up and add it to the pan with the garlic and ginger.
4. Add remaining coconut milk, cream, broth, lime juice, curry powder and carrots.  Bring soup to a boil over medium heat.  Cook until carrots are tender.
5. Server hot over rice.  Top with peppers, avocado, and onion.
                       
P.S.  This recipe, featuring Garlic and Avocado, among lots of other fresh ingredients, is a preview to my promo of the book The 52 New Foods Challenge, by Jennifer Tyler Lee.  You won't believe the great food she has inspired me to share.  Tune in tomorrow for another awesome curry recipe you won't want to miss.
Caleb with his soup and the 52 New Foods Challenge


No comments: