Friday, January 16, 2009

A Success and a Failure

Okay, I made it through the week. This was a high-stress week and my No More Grocery Shopping plan remained in tact. I didn't buy any groceries. And, the load of leftovers we had from the weekend were hugely helpful.

This was our week to go in for our 18 month check-ups at the Moran Eye Center. My husband has a degenerative retinal disease that until now has had no treatment. About two years ago we heard of this miraculous study involving a revolutionary implant that is surgically placed into the eye. So, in July of 'o6 he had surgery to set the implant and we go back every six months for a couple of intensive days of testing, poking and prodding (on him, I'm the companion and driver). Well, we made it through and the leftovers were a huge help. Plus, the kids ate dinner at their cousins one of the nights. Anyway, I was glad I had a master menu and a plan in place, even for those crazy days and nights.

However, we got to today and I am hammered. And, I felt like I needed some time with my kids. Plus, I wanted to reward them for their good behavior all we week, so we grabbed a pizza for lunch. I spent all of ten bucks,, but I know it was a cheat.

As a matter of philosophical observation I have these comments concerning my little slip. When Thoreau went into the woods to live off the land for 2 years, two months and 2 days, he had many who criticised his methods and means. They felt like he failed in some of the details, like he didn't perform his experiment perfectly enough. He had weekly goody drops from his sweet mom who lived a couple of miles away. He went to town too often, he paid too many visit and had too many visitors. My view of my experiment is as his was about living at Walden. It is not about being perfect, it is about being aware and consciously deciding your coarse in life, rather than just letting life happen to you. We make a hundred little trips and errands because we can. But, what if we decide we don't want to live the life of the perpetual errand runner? Then we step back, assess our steps and choose a better way. Maybe we can't, and maybe we shouldn't, eliminate all the confines of our complex society, but we can live deliberately on our own terms if we will chance a start.

I'm making muffins and soups and sauces that all freeze and come out when we need them. It's allowing me to indulge my love for nurturing my family with good food, and meeting my need to have cheap and easy fixes when things are crazy.

So, how are you living more consciously this year?

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I guess I'll forgive you for the pizza. Cross you off my idol list, though. (Just kidding) I think you are amazing for doing this!

Adhis said...

All I know is
I'M GOING TO AMSTERDAM!


Kidding.

Maybe.

Kristen said...

I don't know that I'd call it more conscious, but I figured out a way to stay out of the stores...

I quit. It's too hard to throw Nicole to her carseat, get my belly over Zach's to strap her in, then do his etc etc. Then repeat 20 times as we go in an out of stores. So we're eating food storage because I QUIT shopping. Thanks to Ben for bringing home milk. I'm to the necessities: church, scouts, carpool.