Sunday, January 4, 2009

Prep for No More Grocery Shopping - Part 2 - Cleaning Out the Spice Cupboards

Hey there. Sorry I missed my Thursday post, it was New Year's Day and we were thick in the fun of organizing our home and getting ready for late holiday guests and New Year revelries. Perhaps I'll post on that next. And, about my posting schedule, I'm moving to periodic posts, rather than a set schedule. Some weeks Tuesday and Thursday are great days to post, others I feel pressure to get other stuff done, and still other times I have something to say another day. So, I am now at a point where I want to say "periodic posts," and if anyone cares to check periodically, they may find something new.

Enough about that. Now to my spice shelves and how having a plethora of well-organized spices blesses me at meal making times and my family when it's time to eat. First, some photos.



Savory spice cupboard before and after. Both are pretty crowded, but now I know how to find everything savory. This is where I keep season salts, garlic, spicy sauces, pepper flakes, and a whole lot of other kinds of good cookin' love.




The sweet spice cupboard used to hold all sorts of items besides sweet stuff. Now I can see what I'm looking for and if it's something like cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, honey or malt, I go to this cupboard.

It may seem like I've got too many condements and additives. But honestly, if I have to live off of plain rice, pasta or potatoes for a while because there's severe winter weather, a job loss, or some other unexpected event, I know these spices are going to be my sanity. If you want to find some great blends and prices on bulk spices and mixes, go to San Fransisco Herb Company and check out their offerings. Atlantic Spice is a sister company and is more condusive to east coast ordering. Both offer high quality products for a lot less than grocery store prices. One more list of items to permanently erase from your grocery shopping list.

Now, here's a great document or two on spices I use that gives my family the variety we need in our life and diet. Always something new and surprising, often good enough to enjoy again. I've included some of my favorite spicy recipes.

Mariah's Spicey Suggestions

Regional Recipes

What are your best spice strategies and recipes? How do you use spices to liven up your meals and menus? Please share, we could all use a little spice.

2 comments:

Adhis said...

Thanks for the Spice Cupboard document!

You know, I rarely/never taste the food as I cook it. (GASP!) I taste it when everybody else tastes it. That's the moment when I think, "hmm... this is kind of bland." If I'm on top of things, I will jot my observations down on the recipe page. If I'm not on top of things, I end up repeating the experience.

Kristen said...

Looks good! I love lazy susans. Still trying to find the right size for my spice cupboard though.

I use dried minced onions in almost everything I cook, and usually Italian Seasoning blend too. I often add them to recipes I get from other people. I guess that's naughty.