Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Inventory

In the spirit of full disclosure, in an effort to get organized, and in fulfillment of a promise I made, here is a cursory list of what I've got to work with beyond my cash allotment in a month.  It's a lot. Here's how it fits into the "Live On What You Give" experiment. 

We accumulated this stuff over many years, giving consistently all the time, living on it as we go, replenishing here and there.  For years we've given to the level that we gathered food storage.  All that food is not just for us, we share all along the way.  Now, we are going for a new level of giving and setting our cash for food at the same amount as the cash we give to meet the needs of people around us.  And, because of the habits we established to this point we can.

So, to be clear, this experiment isn't about how little cash we can live on with nothing else.  It's about living on the same amount of cash we are willing to give away.  Anyway, we've always been happy to share all this food, however, my big "little" brother often reminds me of the need for firearms to protect our stash.  The thing is, food is fleeting and guns are part of  a different type of experiment altogether.

Freezer
1 turkey
2 roasts
15 lbs. boneless skinless chicken
15 lbs frozen veggies
5 lbs. french fries
3 lbs. onion rings
3 pastry crusts
2 doz frozen cookies
several ready-made main dishes like eggrolls, taquitos and burritos

Pantry and Cold Storage
year supply of dry milk, flour, beans, rice, sugar, oats, wheat, potato pearls, dried spinach
20 lbs pasta ( I always feel more secure when I have closer to 100 lbs., so I'm running low)
2 doz cans pasta sauce (waiting to be doctored up)
4 doz cans broth
4 doz cans tomato sauce
Lots and lots of spices
20 lbs salt
40 lbs Steven's hot chocolate mix
2 lbs Powdered Parmesan
1 doz cans of meat (I know, sounds delicious, huh)
1 doz #10 cans of various dried veggies
1/2 doz cans dried fruits
45 lbs. barley
45 lbs. popcorn
20 lbs. banana chips
6 gallons juice
4 gallons vinegar
3 gallons oil
4 doz cans corn and beans
2 doz cans chili

Fridge and Garage Storage (also known as the second fridge in the fall and winter)
25 pounds fresh produce
3 gallons milk
1 gallon egg nog
10 lbs. assorted cheeses
2 lbs sour cream
3 lbs cream cheese
4 dozen eggs
More sauces and condiments than I can count

What is in your food storage?

1 comment:

Katie-Rose said...

Wow! Way to keep track! I can't really tell you what's in my food storage...guess I should put it on paper so that I know! Thanks for the inspiration!