Friday, October 9, 2009

Hannah's Whole Wheat Waffles

Hannah got her wish to have breakfast for dinner Thursday night. She didn't make the batter, but the waffles were delicious. Brennan whipped up the batter, and Hannah and I cooked them up in our many-years-old, $10 waffle iron.

Speaking of many-years-old, the hand mixer Brennan used to beat the batter is from our wedding. That makes it over 17 years old. It was given to us by our best man, and has served us well all these years. A few years ago I got a hand-me-down Kitchen-aid for myself as a Christmas present. I love that machine. But, I didn't get rid of my old hand mixer and it still serves us well for smaller jobs like a batch of whole wheat waffles.

Here's the recipe. We pulled it out of Betty Crocker's classic red and white cookbook, one of my favorites.

Whole Wheat Waffles

2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup veggie oil (Bren used canola)
1 3/4 cup milk (we used 2 T dry milk pdr. and 1 3/4 c. water)
1 Tbsp. sugar (we used 2 Tbsp.)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat eggs and add other ingredients beat just until smooth. Pour by cup-full into center of iron, cook until waffle stops steaming.

So, what is your oldest kitchen appliance and how often do you use it?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I have gone through 3 hand mixers this year. 3.
I just discovered that one of my spatula's was my mother in laws. Jer must have stolen it when he went to college. Jeramy's brother discovered it on his last visit to our house and was quite annoyed that we had it. I'm guessing it's around 20 years old! (I know, it's not an appliance, but probably the oldest thing in my kitchen).

Kristen said...

I have my mom's old Bosch. She got it when SHE got married. Then she bought a new one when I left for college. Some parts have been replaced over the years but it's the same one! Yellow with age but she tells me it's more sturdy than her "new" one. I use it at least weekly.