Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Razzle Dazzle PlumBerry Jam

Photo from taste.com, I didn't have my camera handy, but of course my jam looked just like this.

So, one day this summer I went nuts and had 12 kids over for a big party and play day. Sometime during the afternoon a child managed to manipulate the remote well enough to order an on-demand movie that no one watched while two toddlers slashed in a kiddie-pool and 9 bigger kids ran in and out of my house in a grand water-storage rotation water fight. At one point I had six or seven extra sets of hands helping in the kitchen as I made what my girl KC calls "Razzle Dazzle PlumBerry Jam." Somehow we all lived. All the kids found the treasures I hid out in the yard and garage, all my water jugs got emptied and refilled and no one was cut, scalded or otherwise injured in the jam making process. The day was a success.

After distributing the jam around to a small test group (actually they were unsuspecting friends and neighbors) I had several requests for the recipe. Well, if you don't already know, requesting a recipe from me is often a hazardous prospect because I tend to alter as I go and not keep a lot of notes on the alterations. But, here's what I did as best as I can remember.

Razzle Dazzle PlumBerry Jam

3 pounds firm plums, cut into eighths, seeds discarded
2 pounds raspberries/blackberries
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoon lemon juice
8 cups sugar
1 (3-ounce) package commercial pectin

Preparation:Place plums, water, and lemon juice in a blender and pulse to chunky state. Add to a large non-aluminum stockpot with berries. Stirring often, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft. You should end up with about 8 cups. Stir in sugar. Return heat to high and bring back to a rolling boil while constantly stirring. Add pectin and return to a boil while stirring. Continue to stir and boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Let rest for 1 minute, then skim off any foam. Pour even amounts into sterilized jars, leaving 1/8-inch of space at the top. Wipe rims and seal with sterilized lids. Process in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove, let cool, and label jars. Store plumberry jam in a cool, dry place.

Note: I used half the pectin and my jam turned out like a thick syrup, but it still works on toast and bagels and was well recieved with the fam. Try it out and see how you like it. Let me know.

2 comments:

Adhis said...

Where did you get 3 lbs. of plums?

Mariah said...

Free plums from the community garden we belong to. They were a challenge though because they were the size of cherries and I had to pit each one. What a pain, but worth it when I put that jam on my waffles the next morning.