Friday, September 26, 2014

20 Veggies for Under $1/lb

When I am shopping frugal, I aim for spending less than a buck per pound on the food my family eats. In the western United States, at Kroger owned stores, I found these prices this season:

Tomatoes $0.99/lb
Leafy lettuces $0.99/lb
Spinach bunch $0.99/lb
Parsley bunch $0.99/lb
Radish bunch $0.99/lb
JalapeƱos $0.69/lb
Seranos - $0.99/lb
Kale $0.99/lb
Collard Greens $0.89/lb
Carrots $0.98/lb
Red/white onions $0.99/lb
Corn 2/$0.99
Cabbage $.069/lb
Cucumbers $0.89/ea
Green onions  $0.59/ea
Cilantro  $0.59/ea
Potatoes $0.30/lb
Yellow Onions $0.65/lb
Pumpkins $0.25/lb
Squash $0.89/lb

Are prices near you comparable?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am trying to eat healthier and buy fresh ingredients. I used to think that buying fresh was super expensive, but I now realize that it is actually quite cost effective. I have not only lost weight, but I have also saved money.
Mia | http://www.tritownfoods.com

Katie-Rose said...

Mariah, what an inspiration you are to me. Ok, I'm seriously gonna get serious about this saving money on groceries thing 'cause I waay over spend each month. But I love to read your blog, and think it's time to put some things into action. Thanks for sharing!

Mariah said...

Mia! You are so right. One of my missions with this blog is to dispel the myth that eating healthy, fresh food is more expensive than eating processed, less-than-fresh food. Way to go on losing weight and saving money. Both are aspirations of mine. :)

Katie - I overspent so many months of this year that i have to go to drastic measures to get myself back in line. thanks for sticking with me.