Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homemade Personal Pizzas

The procedure I use for these creates several meals and makes having pizza super cheap and easy, just the way I like most things. 

So, let's begin with the crust. You can make your own from scratch, but I generally don't..  I buy Rhodes frozen rolls and work with about a dozen at a time.  If I thought ahead, I have them thawing on the counter.  If not, you will be thrilled to know that it takes less that 20 seconds in the microwave to thaw one roll.  So, if they are all frozen I thaw one, and put the next one in while I'm rolling the first out, and so on.

These make small 4 in pizza.  If you use 2 rolls in one crust, you are more likely to get a 7-8 in. crust.  I like the 4 in size for a few reasons:
  1. You get a dozen little pizza crusts out of a dozen rolls
  2. It's perfect for a lunch bag
  3. If it's dinner time and someone wants more than one, they can choose a variety of toppings
Before I start rolling dough out I prep the oven.  I line one full rack with foil and spray it with cooking spray.  Then I set the oven to 500F. Once I've rolled 6-8 balls of dough into circles (they are more a collection of odd shapes than circles), I poke them 3-4 times with a fork and put them in the oven for about 2 minutes.  Just long enough to cook the dough into a par-baked crust.  I pull them out, still white, but not doughy and cool them on the counter.

If you are planning on making and eating all of these pizzas now, the previous step is unnecessary.  Just top and bake at 500F for 4-5 minutes depending on how you like them done.  Otherwise, cool your par-baked crusts (flip them once or twice to avoid moisture build up) and put them in a freezer bag to freeze and enjoy later. 

When you are ready to use them, pull as many crusts as you need from the freezer, top and bake for 8-10 minutes on 500F.  Keep an eye on them if you want them less done.  These make SUPER easy lunches.  When we have them for dinner everyone gets to choose their own toppings and everyone is happy.

No comments: